September 1, 2011

The Most Wondeful Time of the Year (is almost here)

A lot of people dig the winter holidays most of all the year's celebrations. While I am certainly a fan (especially now that I celebrate both Christmas and Chanukah because of Hubby-to-be), neither are my favorite. Hands down, more than anything else, Halloween is the best holiday ever (for me). I loved it as a kid, I really loved it as a college student, and I love it still (and probably always will). There is something about dressing up, handing out candy, and all those messy spider webs that I just can't get enough of.

I usually have a day-long house decorating party (with myself) on October 1st to kick off the holiday. However, this year, I decided that if all the stores can start selling Halloween stuff in August, I can bring out a few of my favorite items a little early to enjoy them longer. One of my most favorite items is a new addition from last year: a Halloween quilt.

I found this pattern last year called Spooks On Parade by Ann Lauer , in one of the many quilting magazines I read. It was made using the Seen on Halloween collection by Maywood Studios. Since I had previously purchased nearly the entire collection out of sheer love of the prints, this pattern was a natural choice. That collection made up the bulk of my fabric selections.

For the ghosts, however, I used a special fabric I picked up when I was at a shop in NJ while visiting my parents. I can't for the life of me remember what collection it came from, but it was white with a glow in the dark print over it. Glow in the dark fabric for making ghost appliqués? Sold! Of course, that meant that I had to find some glow in the dark thread, too. I never would have known it existed either, if I hadn't found that fabric.


I quilted the whole thing on my little Singer in a meandering pattern (first time using that one). It wasn't easy as first (a few places there are sharp points instead of nice, smooth curves) but I quickly got the hang of it. I like it, I think it gives the quilt a nice cushy feel. Now, it graces the back of my couch, waiting for Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...