September 13, 2011

Butternut Squash Ravioli and Maple Cream Sauce

While the weather may not agree, I've decided it's now time for all things fall. Amid my mission for my usual Costco staples yesterday, I came across the most wonderful looking raviolis. Now, I will probably have to make these from scratch at some point, but I haven't made my own pasta before so I wasn't about to start with one that has a filling. I snapped these babies off the shelf as if they were the last ones in the world.

I was wondering what I would serve them with when I remembered that Hubby-to-be and I have decided to start a Meatless Monday campaign. There are myriad reasons people do meatless Mondays, but chief among them for us was meat is expensive and being healthier is something we both can use. And so, the raviolis became a meal unto themselves instead of a side dish.

Be kind, this is my first food photo.

I promise it looked and tasted way better in real life. Food photography isn't easy with my camera phone and a hungry Hubby-to-be calling for dinner in the next room. The back of the ravioli package suggested I make a brown butter and sage sauce to go with it, but that didn't strike me as hitting the spot. I did some searching and found a suggestion for a maple cream sauce. Hubby-to-be has a bit of a sweet tooth, so I thought that would be perfect.

Maple Cream Sauce
Serves 4

1 cup cream
4 Tbs maple syrup
1 tsp dried shallots
1 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp salt
Toasted, chopped walnuts (optional for topping)

Mix it all up in a pot and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until your raviolis are cooked through. Spoon over raviolis and top with walnuts. Serve immediately.

Because nothing at Costco is less than gigantic, I have enough raviolis to make this again. I think next time I will take the savory route and try the brown butter sage sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...