March 5, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Mousse Pie

Last weekend, Hubby and I went to a really great vegetarian place called the Vegetable Garden. We had a vegan orange chocolate mousse pie that was so slamming words cannot describe. It was probably the best pie I've eaten in my life. The look, the taste, the texture... I don't even like the orange/chocolate combination that much.


I wanted to recreate that pie, without the orange. Turns out, there are about a thousand recipes for it out there. They are all pretty similar- variations on chocolate and tofu. That's what I expected since the restaurant lists out the ingredients for it- tofu, dairy-free chocolate chips, cane sugar, and sea salt. This was my first attempt at it, and I am pleased with how it came out, but it wasn't quite that pie. The search continues!

Vegan Chocolate Mousse Pie
Adapted from Vegan Epicurean

What You'll Need:
6 oz. vegan chocolate
12 oz. silken tofu
1/2 cup sweetener- I used Sugar in the Raw but maple syrup might be a good choice, too.
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 graham cracker crust (I used a chocolate one I found at Whole Foods)

The Process:
   Carefully melt your chocolate in your preferred method. I melted it with a double boiler. Once the chocolate is melted, mix in the sweetener and vanilla. Now you can either mix the chocolate with the tofu in a food processor (sets fluffier) or if you don't have one (or yours is too small, like mine), whisk the tofu into it until well combined. Whisking it in makes it more like pudding pie than mousse. Pour into the pie crust and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.


It was tasty, but just didn't quite have the same something as the original. Now, I know it didn't help that my food processor was too small to make it in there. It would have a much more mousse-like consistency if it did. I'll have to do the next recipe half at a time in the processor.

The main points I need to hit are the deep chocolate color, very chocolatey flavor, and the smooth mousse consistency. This had the chocolatey flavor pretty close, but nothing else. I will keep searching for something similar. In the mean time, this not being quite right gives me an excuse to go back to Whole Foods soon so I can try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...