July 9, 2011

Fool-Proof Creamy Rice Pudding

I love a good creamy rice pudding almost as much as I love Hubby-to-be (sorry, honey). There's just something about a wonderful rice pudding that just stops me in my tracks. This one puts me in the running against the one that his mother makes, and that's some steep competition.


I don't know for sure, but I believe she uses eggs in her recipe. I do not. There's two reasons for this: I don't think they're necessary for a good, creamy texture and when I was working out the recipe, I didn't actually have any eggs on hand. Thus, this recipe came to be. Necessity is the mother of invention after all.

Creamy Rice Pudding
makes 8 servings

What You'll Need:

1 cup uncooked rice (not instant rice)
2 3/4 cups milk
1/2 stick salted butter
2 vanilla beans (or 1 Tbs vanilla extract)
1 stick of cinnamon or 1 Tbs ground
1/2 cup sugar (more or less depending on the size of your sweet tooth)
1 pint cream
Pinch of salt

The Process:

Gently heat the milk on a low setting. Split the vanilla beans and scrape the seeds into the pot. Toss the beans and the cinnamon stick into the pot. Add the rice, cover, and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until rice is just tender. Remove the vanilla pods and cinnamon stick. Add the butter, sugar, salt, and cream. Mix thoroughly and bring back up to a gentle boil until it thickens, about 15 minutes. Stir often or the bottom will burn.

Take the pudding off the heat and allow to cool in the pot, stirring occasionally. It will thicken further as it cools. Refrigerate to cool completely. Top with additional cinnamon and whipped cream before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...