January 2, 2013

Blue and Grey Mod Table Runner

Back in the fall, my mom asked me if I could make her a table runner and matching table topper to go on the buffet table and kitchen table she has in the kitchen. She wanted something for everyday use that matched the colors there but couldn't find anything ready-made. A phone call and a few notes later, I had a good idea of what she was looking for. The result:


I started with a free pattern from All People Quilt that had the basic pattern I liked, but in the wrong proportions and relied on a specific fussy cut fabric to create the interesting effects in the middle of the block. I made it in a totally different size to fit the proportions my mom wanted and I left off the triangles at the end to make the ends pointed (as requested).

 
For the center of the blocks, instead of fussy cutting fabric, I actually appliqued some crazy cut fabrics onto the teal backing fabric. I took my 5" square ruler and just sort of made a medium crazy rectangle and a small crazy rectangle.


I used a single block to make the table topper for the kitchen table. All the Christmas decorations were still out when I left, so I didn't get a chance to see them in action. Mom promised to send me a photo of them 'in the wild' once the decorations get put away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...