December 5, 2012

Condensed Cream of Turkey

Have you ever wondered what you should do with all the turkey pan drippings that's left over after you've made gravy? Wonder no more! I have an excellent use for them: cream of turkey soup.


The original recipe, for cream of chicken, came from Tammy's Kitchen. I adapted it to make some cream of turkey that I'll use soon when I make some turkey pot pie with all that leftover turkey we (still) have. The biggest change I made was doubling the recipe. I had a LOT of turkey broth, so I actually made 4x as much as the original recipe.

I ended up with 7 mason jars worth of condensed soup. It worked out very well, actually. Each jar is 2 cups when filled all the way, but since I was planning to freeze them, I left a little wiggle room in there.

Condensed Cream of Turkey
makes a little over 6 cups 

What You'll Need:
3 cups turkey broth*
2 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp rosemary
1 small minced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt (more or less as you prefer)
1/2 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp paprika
3 cups milk
1 1/2 cup flour 

The Process:
     Put a little of the broth into a pot with with the onions and garlic and cook down for 5-6 minutes. Then add remaining broth, 1 cup milk, and the remaining seasonings. Bring to a boil.
     In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 cups of milk with the flour. Putting the flour into the bowl and adding the milk over top worked best for me to get a smooth mixture. Then pour into the pot with your boiling broth and whisk continuously until it thickens. It will take only a few minutes.

*To prepare the turkey broth, I used the neck, giblets, and bits (liver, etc) from inside the turkey and slowly simmered them in a covered pot with enough water to cover them for 6-8 hours while the turkey cooked on Thanksgiving. I poured off this liquid along with the pan drippings into a bowl. Some of it was used to make the gravy, the rest cooled and then I set it into the fridge. It will become gelatinous and you can easily skim the fat off the top. Then your broth is ready to be used in the above recipe.

I'm really looking forward to making this turkey pot pie over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...