October 15, 2012

Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats

All this pumpkin means I'm starting to get creative with it. There's only so much pumpkin bread and pie that one family can handle. I wish I had made this oatmeal sooner, so much sooner, because it is absolutely a delicious way to start the day.


If you recall, I am an avid steel cut oats fan. Mixing pumpkin into it should have been something I thought of ages ago. But, I've made it now and it does not disappoint. I had to alter this one a little bit from my usual steel cut oat recipe, because pumpkin is mostly water and it needed a little extra sweetness.

Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats
Makes 5 servings

What You'll Need:
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water
2 cups milk
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
2-3 pats butter
optional: 1/2 cup walnuts

The Process:
   Melt your butter over medium heat in a pot. Mix in the cup of oats and toast for 5-6 minutes, until you can smell the nutty aroma. Add the water, milk, pumpkin, vanilla and mix well, then bring to a boil. Stir in all your spices and sweetener and reduce to a simmer. Adjust sweetness to taste. Add walnuts if using. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the oats are tender.

After it's cool, you can divide what's left of it up into containers for later. It reheats very well in the microwave and tastes even better than the first day. Just add a little more milk before heating and you're good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...