November 20, 2012

Whole Cranberry Sauce

Turkey time is nearly upon us. I have brined several birds and I feel I'm heartily prepared for whatever Thanksgiving can throw my way. Bring it on, holiday foods! Since being responsible for the main staples of the meal wasn't enough, I decided I was going to try my hand at making my own cranberry sauce this year.

I have not been known to enjoy the cranberry sauce, which makes some people go crazy for over the holidays. I just never saw the appeal of something that retained its shape once released from the can. But I have seen the light- and homemade cranberry sauce is why. This tangy but sweet combination will now never be missing from my Thanksgiving table.


This is ridiculously simple to make, and the only ingredient you probably don't have is the cranberries themselves. In fact, if you're feeling up to braving the crowds at the store, you still have plenty of time to make this recipe for Turkey Day. It's very quick to make.

Whole Cranberry Sauce
makes about 2 1/2 cups

What You'll Need:
1, 12oz package cranberries, rinsed
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger
2 Tbs amaretto (optional)

The Process:
   Pick over your cranberries to make sure there are no rotten or moldy ones in the bunch. In a saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the sugars in the orange juice and bring to a boil. Stir in spices, amaretto and cranberries. Return to a low boil and cook until the cranberries start to pop, about ten minutes or so. Let cool and then refrigerate. The sauce will thicken as it cools. Serve cold (my preference) or warm as you prefer.

You can make it a few days ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator for up to a week before serving. I definitely recommend you add the amaretto if you have it, it gives the sauce a little extra punch of flavor.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...