September 21, 2012

Slow Cooked Chicken Pot Pie

My neck of the woods has thoroughly fallen into autumn. For over a week, we've had 75 degree days and 50 degree evenings, just absolutely wonderful weather that makes you yearn for a hearty dish. Tonight I just had to make something in the spirit of this weather. I have quite a bit of chicken on hand, so a chicken pot pie was an easy choice.

But I didn't really want to heat up my whole place by turning on the oven to bake one. Where do I always turn in times of temperature crisis like this? To my trusty crock pot, of course. This is a really easy way to make that savory pot pie dish without using your oven, or having to worry about over baking a crust (as I am known to do).

My vegetables were carrots, peas, lima beans, and potatoes.
Slow Cooked Chicken Pot Pie
makes 6 servings

What You'll Need:
 4 boneless chicken breasts, thawed
 2 cans cream of chicken soup
 1 cup sliced celery (I'm not a fan, so I traded it for a diced potato instead)
 1 medium onion, diced
 2 cloves garlic, mince
 1 bay leaf
 1/2 tsp marjoram
 1/4 tsp sage
 1/2 tsp thyme
 1/2 tsp rosemary
 1/2 tsp black pepper
 salt to taste (I added 1/2 tsp)
 2 cups of cut fresh veggies- carrots, peas, corn, etc OR a 1lb frozen bag mixed veggies
 6 biscuits, either prepackaged or homemade (I'm posting a recipe for some soon)

The Process:
Dice up the chicken into bite sized pieces. Put into your crock pot with the celery, onion, both cans of cream of chicken soup, all your spices, and your vegetables, if using fresh. Mix up, cover, and cook on low setting for 5 hours. It will look too thick at the beginning, but it'll thin out during the cooking process. If at the end you think it's still too think for your taste, add 1/4 of milk and mix well.

If using frozen vegetables, stir them into the crock pot 30 minutes before cooking is finished. Also with 30 minutes left, begin preheating your oven for the biscuits. Either prepare your biscuit dough as usual or use your prepackaged ones and cook according to those directions. After baking, let them sit until cool enough to handle. Slice the biscuits in half and place two pieces on top of filling to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...