January 24, 2012

Maple Walnut Oatmeal

Oatmeal, again? Yes, indeed. I know I just did a post on it, but frankly, it's delicious and as long as it's cold out, I will keep making up ways to make breakfast the best (and most filling) meal of the day. I picked up a big bag of raw walnuts as I threatened to do in my previous post. It smelled so wonderful while making it that I ate it for dinner instead of breakfast.

Oatmeal in the morning, Oatmeal in the evening, Oatmeal at supper time...
 Maple Walnut Oatmeal

Basic Ingredients:
1 cup steel cut oats (I use Bob's Red Mill)
2 cups water
2 cups milk
3 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 pats butter

Maple Walnut Variation:
2 Tbs maple syrup
3 Tbs brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup walnut pieces

The Process:
   Melt your butter over medium heat in a pot. Mix in your cup of oats and your raw walnuts and let it toast for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you can smell the nuttiness. Add the water, milk, vanilla, maple syrup, brown sugar, and cinnamon and mix well. Then turn the heat up and bring it boil. Reduce to a simmer, and give the liquid a quick taste. Add a little more sugar if desired. Simmer for 25 minutes until the oats are tender.

Serve immediately or allow to cool and divide into containers. It makes four hearty servings. Just like the basic recipe, it reheats well in the microwave if you add a little more milk before heating. I think I want to try a berry variety next. I'll see what catches my eye next trip to the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...